This easy tropical fruit salad is a slight twist on the 50’s classic. It makes a festive holiday side, that is quick and simple enough that children can help make it.
Click the links below if you’re looking for our other holiday recipes:
- DeAnna’s Favorite Frosted Sugar Cookies
- Kaylie’s Grandma’s Holiday Squares Florentine
- Crock Pot Cinnamon Nuts
- 1 – 14oz. can of Pineapple Tidbits in JUICE (we use Dole)
- 1 – 14oz. can of Mandarin Oranges in JUICE
- 1 – 16oz. jar of Maraschino Cherries (no stems)
- 5 oz. of Sweetened Shredded Coconut (about 3/4 of a small bag)
- 1 tub of Cool Whip, thawed (can add more if extra whip is your thing!)
- 1 5 oz. container of Black Cherry (Fruit on the Bottom) Greek Yogurt (we use Choibani Black Cherry greek yogurt with fruit on the bottom, Mixed Berry could also work.)
- 1 cup of Green Grapes (we leave them whole, but you can half them if desired.)
- 1 tablespoon of Strawberry flavored instant Jello
- 5 oz. (1/2 bag) of mini Marshmallows
- Drain both the mandarin oranges and pineapple well and place in large bowl.
- Add in shredded coconut, grapes, and yogurt. Mix to incorporate all ingredients.
- Add Cool Whip to the bowl, sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of the instant Jello. Mix well.
- Reserving the juices, (we’ll use some of it in a moment) add the cherries to the salad.
- Use the remaining cherry juice to sparingly tint and flavor the fruit mixture to your tasting. Only add a tablespoon or two of cherry juice at a time and stir until it is light pink in color.
- Add marshmallows and stir.
- Cover and return Ambrosia to fridge for at least an hour before serving.
NOTE: Too much liquid makes this salad runny. It should be fluffy. If you find you’ve added too much juice, add some more Cool Whip to help counter.