These are the same style nuts you get at fairs and theaters. We used pecans. They are delicious and so easy to make. We packed ours into mini mason jars with ribbon for gifting!
- 2 teaspoons – Vanilla
- 6 cups – Roasted Pecan Halves (or Almonds, Walnuts, Peanuts, etc. You can use raw nuts if you prefer.)
- 1/4 cup – Water
- 1 cup – White Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 cup – Light Brown Sugar
- 2 tablespoons – Cinnamon
- Oil or Cooking Spray
- Spray slow cooker crock with non-stick cooking spray, or lightly rub with a little cooking oil to prevent sticking.
- In a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients (both sugars and cinnamon)
- In another bowl, whisk egg whites with vanilla until very frothy and bubbly. (About 2 minutes)
- Add pecans to the frothy egg whites and stir until coated.
- Sprinkle the sugar mixture over the pecans and stir to coat. Transfer entire bowl to slow cooker with a spatula.
- Cook covered on LOW for 3 hours, stirring once every 30 to 45 minutes.
- 2 hours and 30 minutes in: add the water in small amounts until the mixture is a little loose and easy to stir/coat the nuts. Note: this may take the whole 1/4 cup of water or less, so add in small amounts.
- When the nuts have cooked for the full 3 hours, spread the mixture out on a parchment lined baking sheet – IN A SINGLE LAYER – so that they get crunchy as they cool.
- Let cool for a few hours before moving them to an air-tight container.