These rich Caramel Butter Bar Cookies are our fall favorite! Because these cookies are dense and flavorful, they make decadent single serving gifts that friends and family will LOVE. Just slip a square into a decorative wax or cellophane bag with a little ribbon or sticker to close.
- Flour – 2 cups
- Sugar – 1/2 cup
- Vanilla – 1/4 teaspoon
- Soft Caramel Squares – 25 pieces
- Sweetened Condensed Milk – 1 can
- Butter – 2 sticks, at room temperature for at least 20 minutes.
- Salt – 1/8 teaspoon
- OPTIONAL – Chocolate for melting
Note: this is a small batch cookie. If you like thicker bars, or want to make a larger order, double the dough/crust part but use the same amount of caramel from the original recipe.
Preheat oven to 350.
- Beat butter with hand mixer until fluffy.
- Add sugar and salt, beat again.
- Scrape down bowl with spatula, mix in flour on low speed.
- Press 3/4 of the crust into a small ungreased cookie sheet.
- Place caramels in microwaveable bowl with the sweetened condensed milk. Microwave for 3 minutes, stirring every minute until it is all melted and combined.
- Add vanilla to caramel mixture.
- Pour caramel over the crust.
- Drop remaining crust in small amounts onto top of caramel.
- Bake about 20 minutes or until edges are semi golden.
- Allow to cool on countertop and then move to fridge to set.
- Cut into 4″ squares to package or serve.
Add a layer of chocolate to make these bars even fancier. Drizzle melted chocolate on top, or after the bars have chilled in the fridge, smooth a layer of chocolate over the top of the bars and return to the fridge to chill. After they have completely hardened, cut into squares.