This French Onion Pasta started on TikTok, and it has taken over our news feed. We decided to try it! The verdict: It was pretty good! It doesn’t beat an actual bowl of French Onion Soup, but it is more filling than soup alone. If you’ve ever had a “deconstructed” French Onion Soup, it gives a very similar vibe. Here’s how we made it.
- 2 tablespoons – Butter
- 1 large – Onion
- 1/8 cup – Sherry
- 1/4 cup – Dry White Wine like Pinot Grigio
- 5 sprigs – Fresh Thyme
- 8 oz. box – Rigatoni
- 3 cups – Beef Stock or Broth (Stock will be a bolder flavor)
- 1 teaspoon – Worcestershire Sauce
- 1/4 cup – Grated Parmesan Cheese, freshly grated will taste better than jar
- 1/4 cup – Half-and-Half
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Melt butter in a large stock-type pot on medium heat. Thinly (the thinner the better) slice the onion and add to the butter. Add a heavy pinch of salt to the onion, stir to incorporate the onion, butter, and salt. Cover and cook for 5 minutes, NO PEEKING.
- Remove lid and reduce heat to low. Let onions continue to cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally until they are caramelized.
- Deglaze the pot by adding the sherry and wine to the pan and using a spatula to scrape up the browned bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Add sprigs of thyme and a little salt and pepper to taste.
- Add UNCOOKED rigatoni to the pot.
- Add beef stock and Worcestershire sauce to the pot. Bring to a boil and cook until pasta is al dente, about 15 minutes.
- Turn off heat and remove pot from burner. Carefully fish out the thyme sprigs and discard.
- Slowly add parmesan and the half-and-half to the mixture and stir until pasta is well coated.
- Serve immediately; garnish with a sprinkle of additional fresh parmesan.